Saturday, August 9, 2008




This is just a rough draft of what my blog will look like, but I needed to just get this whole blog thing started. I at first thought blogging was a little silly and kind of a waste of time, but I've changed my mind! A lot has happened in the last few months, and this way I feel like I'm keeping everyone informed.
So this is kind of a long story, but it's been my life for the last 3 months. At the end of May I went in for a pregnancy ultrasound, at 21 weeks. I knew I was pregnant with twins, which made it higher risk. Everything had been going really well and the babies were healthy. That day they told me that my cervix was really short and I would be in the hospital and on strict bed rest the remainder of my pregnancy. That was really hard to hear, but I had no idea what I was in for. I ended up being in th hospital for a total of 7 weeks. 3 of those weeks I couldn't even get up to go to the bathroom. My family and especially my husband were wonderful. He got a second job to support our family because I obviously couldn't work. When he wasn't working he was with me. My mom was also amazing, she came down to the hospital and kept me company every day while my husband was at work. We had hours and hours to talk and we got to be really close. My mother in law was great too. She gave me lots of back massages and kept me entertained. They both saved me from the nasty hospital food.
In the middle of the 7 weeks I got really sick with a blood infection and pneumonia, and the doctors thought the babies would have to be delivered then, at 24 weeks. I'm so grateful that wasn't the case. Thanks to the doctors and all the prayers and fasting, I was able to recover and they didn't have to deliver the babies.
These were some of the hardest 2 months of my life. Besides the extreme boredom, I was worried about my babies, and I didn't know how much longer all of that would last. I did more praying and crying in those 2 months that I have in my whole life combined. I made it to 27 1/2 weeks and the kids decided they couldn't wait any longer. I was in labor for about 3 days and I dialated to a 10 before they decided to do a C-section. The babies were out in about 3 minutes. It was a relief, but at the same time I was a little nervous about how they would be. Danica Aveolela was born first at 2 pounds 9 ounces and Kaimen Tamatoa was born at 2 pounds 13 ounces. Rich was there watching the whole time. He was by me jumping up and down and basically freaking out. It was so cute to see him so excited. He is going to be a great dad!
They let me kiss each of my babies and then rushed them up to the NICU. That was 4 weeks ago this Sunday. I can't believe they are already a month old. They are both doing well. They have had their struggles, and some infections, and other things, but my babies are fighters. I have never seen 2 little people so strong. They both weigh almost 4 pounds each now. They haven't given us a time when we will get to bring them home, but probably the beginning of October. The hardest thing to do is leave them at the hospital, but I just have to remember how lucky I am that they are even here, and they will get to come home soon. I feel so lucky to be there mom, and that they chose me and their dad. I love them more that I thought could even be possible.
Thanks to everyone who has called and come to visit, and who has been praying for our family. We couldn't do it without you!!

No comments: